1. Piedmont Action of 1st Floor Newcastle Street Northbridge, Western Australia is committed to complying with its obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 and the associated National Privacy Principals (the NPPs').
Application of NPP'S to Piedmont Action
2. Piedmont Action is bound by the NPP's either as a consequence of it being an organization with annual turnover of more than
$3 million or due to the fact it derives a benefit, service or advantage by the collection of disclosure of information and opinions
about individuals whose identity is apparent or can be ascertained.
3. However, as with all organizations, the NPP's do not apply to personal information of current or former employees contained in employee records when those records are used directly in connection with the employment relationship. Further, it should be noted that some exemptions are contained within the NPP's with respect to matters such as the disclosure of information relating to public health or public safety, the disclosure of information with respect to the law enforcement enquires and the disclosure of particular information relating to proceedings and negotiations.
4. Further detail's of the obligations imposed upon private investigations under Australia's Privacy Laws can be obtained directly from the office of the Privacy Commissioner or by reference to the NPP's and the Privacy commissioner's associated guidelines.
Types of personal information Piedmont Action holds.
5. The type of personal information held by Piedmont Action includes the following:
- The obtaining of information from Vendors used with respect to the marketing and sale of businesses and real estate properties.
- The collection and use of information from databases of comparable sales of businesses and properties in order to appraise the value of other businesses and properties and in order to assist in the marketing of those businesses and properties.
- Information from purchasers and potential purchasers of businesses and properties.
- Details of properties, owners and tenants used for the purpose of managing and leasing of properties.
- Date obtained from third parties for the use of marketing, selling and leasing businesses and real estate properties.
- Details of previous sales conducted by Piedmont Action.
The main purposes for which Piedmont Action holds information.
6. Piedmont Action holds the information referred to above for the primary purpose of enabling it to conduct the services that it provides to its customers, vendors, purchases, owners and tenants and to enable it to market the provision of those services.
- Piedmont Action collects information to enable it to provide services in connection to the sale or leasing of businesses and properties;
- Information collected by Piedmont Action is used to provide advice to customers and prospective customers with respect to real estate and business agency matters;
- Information collected by Piedmont Action issued to assist with the delivery of services via the internet;
- Information obtained from third parties, including the Value Generals Office, the Land Titles Office, local councils and other organizations is used for the purpose of assisting the agency in the valuing, selling and leasing of businesses and properties;
- Information obtained by Piedmont Action is used for the purpose of marketing the services of the agency;
7. Piedmont Action does not contact our services in third parties that involves disclosing personal information.
Contacting Piedmont Action regarding privacy matters
8. If any individual who wishes to make a complaint about Piedmont Action's activities with respect to privacy and the NPP's or obtain more information about the way in which this agency manages personal information it holds, the individual should make immediate contact with Piedmont Action's designated Privacy Officer and the senior management of Piedmont Action can be contacted at the following details:
1st Floor, 355 Newcastle Street
Northbridge WA 6003
Telephone: (08) 9228 4299
Fax: (08) 9228 1139
Accessing personal information held by Piedmont Action
9. Pursuant to the NPP's, persons are entitled to obtain access to personal information held by Piedmont Action with respect to that individual. Subject to the relevant exemptions contained in the NPP's and subject to an individual providing sufficient proof of his or her identity, Piedmont Action will provide access to information that it holds relating to that individual. Piedmont Action will charge a fee in most instances for the provisions of this information based on the administrative cost of supplying the information requested. Further details as to these costs can be obtained by contacting Piedmont Action's Privacy Officer.
10. Piedmont Action requests, for the purpose of clarity, that any requests for access to personal information be made in writing addressed to the Privacy Officer.
11. Piedmont Action will generally provide access to information by providing to the individual concerned copies of relevant documents where, or/ reasons of volume or otherwise, providing copies of documents is not practical, Piedmont Action will make arrangements for the individual concerned to attend at PiedmontAction's offices to carry out a physical inspection.
12. Wherever posssible, Piedmont Action will provide copies of documents or access to the information that it holds with respect to an individual within 14 days of the receipt of the relevant request. In the case of more complex requests, Piedmont Action will endeavour to provide access to the information within a period of 30 days.
13. If individuals that information held relating to them is incorrect they are entitled to request that Piedmont Action corrects that information.
14. Should Piedmont Action believe that it is entitled to refuse a request to access information or to make corrections it will provide written reasons for its decision.
15. Should any person wish to obtain further information with respect to the type of personal information Piedmont Action holds, the purpose for which Piedmont Action uses that information and/or the way in which Piedmont Action manages that information, that person should not hesitate to contact Piedmont Action's Privacy Officer at the contact details set out above.